Creating a Puppet – Part 3

31 May

To make the muscle I simply cut out and glued mattress foam over the armature.

I then trimmed it down with scissors to make it look more like muscle.

Now it’s time for some color.

Creating a Puppet – Part 2

31 May

To make the hands, I first took 24 gauge steel wire and twisted up 8 strands individually. Then I took those strands to twist them into hand-shapes.

I then took epoxy putty to create a palm, and the spots between the joints. I then took liquid latex to create the skin.

I then attached the hands to the armature with an aluminum tube that will become the forearm and glued with 5-minute epoxy. Unfortunately the tube I had on hand is one size too big, but it’ll have to do.

The ‘dipping’ method is quite haphazard and does not allow for much in the way of sculpting a nice looking hand. The next time I create hands I am going to attempt to make a two-part mold from a hand sculpted with modeling clay over the same type of armature. I will then try to use liquid latex to fill that mold. I am not entirely positive that will work, but it is worth a try. There is a wonderful 3-part video tutorial on mold making I will use as a guide.

I am still working on the ‘muscle.’

Creating a Puppet – Part 1

30 May

The other day I decided to practice going through the stages of creating a puppet so that I may use him for practice animations.

I started out with a some 8 gauge annealed aluminum wire (about a foot in length) and made a hook.

I then took some aluminum foil and made a shape of a head out of it.

I then took some sculpey to sculpt out a head. I am not a good sculptor, so I used this video tutorial.

To make the feet, I took two other pieces of aluminum wire (a little less than 2 feet) and wrapped one end of each around a hex nut that was glued with epoxy.


I then took some epoxy putty to further secure the nut in place (screwing in the nut so that I don’t clog the whole). Afterward I used sculpey to create some shoes.

I then pieced the 3 strands together using epoxy putty.

This is the 4th puppet I have created in this manner, each with slight improvements. One area I need to work on for the next one is the ability to move the head side to side. I could possibly use aluminum tube to connect the neck. I should also put epoxy putty around the hook in the head.

I am still working on the hands and will post that as soon as I’m done. The next step after that is to create the ‘muscle,’ give him some color and clothes.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.